Thursday, February 21, 2008

ReadingPen Continued

My son was so excited when he got home from school yesterday. We immediately read a book together using the pen. One thing we discovered is that the contrast between the page color and the letters makes a difference. It also needs to be held at the proper angle, but this is not too hard for him. He spent the rest of the night scanning every word he could find. This includes the toothpaste tube – LOL!!

One of the things that I was hoping would happen did. I was concerned that he would “take the easy way out” and just use the pen, not reading at all. What actually has happened is that it is just hard enough to do that it is easier and faster to just read the words he can and only use it when he gets stuck.

Another fun thing is that he was going around last night “discovering” words that he would never try to read on this own. He came into the room I was in so proud of himself saying “Mom, I know how to spell professional.” He had scanned it off one of my magazines.

One of the most exciting things is that he can have some independence when he reads. If he is just reading for fun, not for homework, I don’t care how much he uses the pen. If he is enjoying a book, I am all for it!

No comments: