Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We Took a Turn Toward Home

Our school year is now over and it has been a very bumpy ride. My son had a wonderful teacher this past year who went above and beyond the entire year. However, there just comes a time when you have to realize that no matter how much you love a school, it may not be the best place to meet the needs of your child.

So as we continue our journey, we find ourselves driving down the road and making a hard right towards home. After much prayer, soul-searching, research and criticism I have decided to home school my son next year. Actually I will be going through a virtual school called the Georgia Virtual Academy. I am very excited about the curriculum they use and they provide wonderful accountability and organization for me.

I ordered some of the Language Arts curriculum for us to work through over the summer. I have several reasons for this. I want to make sure we can work together in a teacher/student relationship. I also didn’t want him going the whole summer without picking up anything to read. This is also giving me some time to get familiar with how the “system” works so we can flow more easily into it in the fall.

So far things are going very well. I have set up a reward system for behavior, which includes positive rewards for doing his work in a cooperative manner as well as consequences for negative behaviors. I have been very happy with the results so far.

Our next big step is going to be determining what space we will use for our classroom. We have several options, however all include quite a bit of work to transform the space.

I will keep you up dated

No comments: