Monday, November 19, 2007

From Skeptic to Believer

Ever since we began the Feingold diet, I have been watching my son’s dyslexia symptoms. I saw improvements and was very happy from the first day. But today I am a total believer.

Over the weekend we attended two hockey games. We have had season tickets for many years. I allowed my son to pick one “illegal” food per game. Over the weekend, we also had to study for a spelling retest. Boy did I pay for letting him have that food.

Once we got to about word number 6, he was done, he could not even focus on what word he was trying to spell. We practiced a few more times before I took him to my mom’s house for a sleep over. I went back to eat dinner with them and worked some more with him on his words. He was doing ok, but not great.

My mom had him practice his words the next morning. She said he did great! She said “You have to keep him on that diet. It is like a miracle. As soon as that stuff was out of his system, he did fine”

So it is official. Feingold has two new huge fans. Thank you!!

2 comments:

Jane said...

That's great, Mary Lynne!
Please hold on to some samples of your child's handwriting both "before" and "after" Feingold.
You may find in the future that when you need to get the point across to someone that it is REALLY important that they not feed your child Skittles or green applesauce, there's nothing like some dramatic handwriting samples to get the point across. Also, the Feingold Association is always interested in having copies of these...it blows people away!

Unknown said...

We have a 7-year old daughter with Asperger Syndrome. Three years ago, we tried the Feingold Diet treatment and have had good success with it helping her attention span, anxiety, and general outbursts.

However, my wife and I found it somewhat difficult to find many of the Feingold-accepted foods, so we created The Asperger's Store which lists all the Feingold-accepted foods which Amazon.com carries.

Hopefully, this list will be of some help to others.

Craig