Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Unexpected Benefits

I have spent a lot of time talking about the changes and improvements I have seen with my son and his dyslexia symptoms. However, I am leaving out a big piece of information.

I am also following the Feingold diet and I am seeing huge benefits.

Here is a little about my background. Now that I am aware of the symptoms of ADD, I can see them in myself for as far back as I can remember. I can’t keep a space clutter free to save my life. I was/am always losing things. I get hyper-focused on something and can’t pull away from it. There are too many more to list.

So I knew going into the Feingold Diet, it could benefit myself as well. What I didn’t expect was what has become the greatest benefit for me thus far.

For many years I have had a very hard time with my sleep schedule. I would get to bed around 11pm and not be able to fall asleep until 2am. Of course I would wake up tired. I was always tired. It didn’t matter if I slept all day and night, I would wake up dragging.

Well, since we started the Feingold Diet, I can sleep!!! I get in bed at 11pm and I am asleep by 11:30pm. This is huge for me!! I even wake up feeling rested. I can tell this is going to be something I stick with.

We have a lot of approved “junk” food right now because I don’t want my son to feel too deprived as we get used to what we can and can not have. So we have ice cream, cookies, chips, all of which I am eating too. With one eye opened, I got on the scale about a week into the diet. I had lost 4lbs. Wow! Not at all what I expected. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, this trend did not continue. LOL

Even if we mess up here and there, I truly believe for us, this is a new way of life. I have not found it difficult to do at all. I have found all of our food in my regular grocery store. I do have to learn to buy different brands, but that is no big deal. I do have to cook more which is not my favorite thing to do, but every recipe we have tried we have both loved.

If anyone is thinking about trying it, I would recommend giving the Feingold Diet a whirl. Even if it doesn’t do anything for you, it certainly will not hurt!

Let me know if you are or have tried it by leaving a comment. ;-)

No comments: